Design project for 1st Year and 2nd Year students. (B.Arch, B.plan, Interior Design, Product design and other design and animation courses)
Design an Art Gallery for an Artist community. The Gallery must be big enough for seven artist to display their work. You have the complete freedom to design the gallery on land, floating in the air, floating on water or even under water.
Make sure that –
- The gallery must have seven sections of at least 30 running meter each for each artist.
- The gallery must have an orientation area with a screen for an audio-visual presentation. The orientation area must be able to accommodate at least 30 people.
- The design of the exhibition should be accessible, attractive, inviting, and should be exciting in physical, philosophical and intellectual terms.
- There should be an open air theatre (with a capacity of 200 people) next to the gallery for live performances.
- The design and the form of the art gallery must have a strong concept and a meaning. The visual and spatial forms should spring from an original idea and concept of your own.
- The design that you submit is original and your own. We are strictly against copying of ideas and had to disqualify many entries last year that were directly copied from other sources.
We don’t want a tall heap of sheets and drawings. Just send us your drawings and sketches with suitable text and explanations that explain your design and idea well.
- The sheet size should be A2 (landscape).
- Please note that all your sheets should be in PDF format.
- Please do not send more than 5 sheets.
- Feel free to use any medium – drawings can be digital or hand drawn (scanned) but please make them with all your heart.
All entries would be marked keeping the following points in mind –
- Originality, imagination and unconventional design.
- Design process and evolution of design.
- Marking would be split as – 70% for the idea, 20% for presentation and 10% for write up.
Cash + Certificate
First prize –Rs30,000 + certificate and trophy
Second Prize – Rs17,500 + certificate and trophy
Third Prize – Rs 5,000 +certificate and trophy
Five Honorable mentions + certificates
Regular registration – 1st April, 2017 to 18th October, 2017
Last date of registration – 18th October, 2017
Last date for submission – 04th November, 2017
Results – 31st January, 2017
Registration Fee (International Students)
Ayodh Vasant Kamath blends craft, design and computation in research, teaching, and professional practice. His research on bamboo gridshell design won a ‘Best Paper, Runner-up’ at CAADRIA 2013 and his research on ‘Computationally Reclaiming Material’ in Detroit won him the LTU Faculty Seed Grant in2014. He has presented his research at international conferences in Asia, Europe and North America.
Ayodh co-coordinates the Visual Communications course sequence in the department of architecture. He teaches graduate and undergraduate design studios, and has organized an international design-build workshop with the makeLAB at LTU. Ayodh has previously taught at the Sushant School of Art & Architecture, Gurgaon, and the University School of Architecture and Planning, Delhi, India.
A practicing architect in India, Ayodh is a partner at Kamath Design Studio, New Delhi. He was involved in the design of the tallest stainless steel structure in South Asia. Projects he has worked on have appeared in various national and international publications. He has also worked on installation art projects, furniture design and photography.
Narinderjit Kaur is an architect, designer and motivated environmental planner who relishes new and dynamic challenges. Her fields of interest include Natural Resource Management, Urban Environment & Climate Change and Sustainable approach in and Spatial Planning and Architecture. She has eighteen years of professional experience including six years of core field work, 11 years field work as free-lance consultant along with 11 years teaching experience.
Pavol Griac is a resident of Slovakia, Europe. He has studied Spatial Planning at the University of Technology in Slovakia and in city of Reims in France. He has taught Urban Planning at a prestigious university in India and has traveled different parts of India during his stay. He works in real estate business. He loves to travel and experience different culture He is a sports enthusiast and loves to play ice hockey, football and rock climbing.
Kunal Chaudhry is an Architect and Urban Designer who graduated from the University of Toronto. He brings forth architectural design and urban design experience, with an excellent facility for concept plan illustration, development of guidelines and master planning. Having led and collaborated with large, multi-disciplinary consultant groups, and with extensive experience working with regional and municipal departments and facilitating design workshops for both the public and the private sectors, Kunal Chaudhry presents an interesting dialogue between Architecture and Urban Design. He currently works at a private firm in Toronto and has participated in numerous design competitions and proposals across the world and has served as a design jury member.
Guneet has worked with Raj Rewal, one of India’s most prominent Architects, for five years and handled the Architectural Department (North) For SGS India, affiliated Company of the group SGS SA Geneva, Switzerland. Guneet is an architect from Sushant School of Architecture, Gurgaon with vast and varied experience in residential, institutional, commercial and hospitality projects like the UNITECH Group housing in NOIDA, Chancery Project (Indian Embassy), Shanghai, China and Taj Moti Mahal, Bharatpur. She has worked as a visiting faculty in various prestigious institution in NCR. She also headed the publication department under Raj Rewal Associates and worked on a number of books articles for prestigious architectural magazines with publishing houses like Phaidon and Oxford. With a keen interest in child friendly space design, she has worked on various research projects for the same.